Introduction and Welcome

Welcome to All Things Bright and Beautiful. If you are new to this site, I would recommend that you read my very first entry - which is an introduction and welcome to this blog. You can view it here

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Jacob Van Ruysdael - Canal With Bridge, George Philipp Telemann - Chamber Works, A.A.Milne - At the Zoo


Our new artist for this coming term is Jacob van Ruysdael.  The following links are to biographical sketches and lists of his works.

First, a link to my Picasa Web album with the paintings I've chosen to study this term in case you want to copy them ahead Jacob von Rueysdale paintings - Picasa Web Album

The National Gallery biographical sketch

Artble - Jacob van Ruisdael  "Jacob van Ruisdael is considered one of the great masters of landscape painting. Drawing inspiration from his surroundings and from the stories of incoming travelers, he created paintings that evoked emotion and thought. Van Ruisdael also used his imagination to create dramatic scenes and some of the most astounding landscape art works ever produced."

Wikipedia - Jacob Isaacksz van Ruisdael

A Slideshow of 71 paintings by Jacob Ruisdael



Canal with Bridge
Canal With Bridge
Our new musician is George Philipp Telemann

Chamber Works by Telemann is our first piece.

Biographical sketches here - 

Wikipedia - GeorgPhilipp Telemann 

Baroque Composers and Musicians 

I haven't listened to this myself yet, but I found a site online that has "radio" programs for kids including this one about Telemann.  Might be worth checking out. 
Classics for Kids - About Georg Philipp Telemann 

I didn't find a children's biography of his life, let me know if any of you find a good one...  


Being a lover of Winnie the Pooh stories I thought it would be fun to feature Alan Alexander Milne as our poet this Spring.

Wikipedia - A. A. Milne 
Just-Pooh.com
A biographical sketch of A.A.Milne
A. A. Milne Quotes 

You may enjoy two of his poetry books for children, When We Were Young, and Now We Are Six.  If you haven't yet read the Pooh books I highly recommend them.  We read and reread these wonderful stories.  

We'll start with "At the Zoo"

          At the Zoo


There are lions and roaring tigers,
and enormous camels and things,
There are biffalo-buffalo-bisons,
and a great big bear with wings.
There's a sort of a tiny potamus,
and a tiny nosserus too -
But I gave buns to the elephant
when I went down to the Zoo!

There are badgers and bidgers and bodgers,
and a Super-in-tendent's House,
There are masses of goats, and a Polar,
and different kinds of mouse,
And I think there's a sort of a something
which is called a wallaboo -
But I gave buns to the elephant
when I went down to the Zoo!

If you try to talk to the bison,
he never quite understands;
You can't shake hands with a mingo -
he doesn't like shaking hands.
And lions and roaring tigers
hate saying, "How do you do?" -
But I give buns to the elephant
when I go down to the Zoo!



No comments:

Post a Comment